Llanrhaeadr Springs is set in the old outbuildings of the great Llanrhaeadr Hall. The earliest known records of Llanrhaeadr Hall state that it originally belonged to the Salusbury family who, at the time, owned an abundance of local land. There is evidence of the Salusbury’s being at Llanrhaeadr in 1400 and of a Thomas Salusbury residing here in 1508. The property passed to John Lloyd of Bodidris, on his marriage to Catherine Salusbury. The Lloyd family sold the hall to Maurice Jones of Merionethshire, who died in Llanrhaeadr in 1702, aged 30, and whose grave is in St Dyfnog’s Church.
From the Jones family, the property descended to the Parrys of Llewynyn. In 1773 Richard Parry sold the property to Richard Wilding of Liverpool. Richard died after 47 years at Llanrhaeadr aged 77 and is also buried in the graveyard of St Dyfnog’s Church. Upon his death the estate was sold to the Price family who extensively renovated the main house and also re-fronted the South West portion with stone.
Around 1870 the Bamfords bought Llanrhaeadr Hall from the Prices. The Bamfords were large scale meat merchants in Liverpool, with connections to the United States and were one of the original importers of meat using early refrigeration techniques. The Bamford children, Hannah Maria, her sister Eleanor (later Lady Waring) and brother Arthur J.J. Bamford were partially brought up in New York and Chicago, where the family reputedly owned a large amount of Chicago real estate.
Hannah Maria Bamford married Thomas Williams. His father William, originally from Cerrigydrudion, had made money in the grocery import / export business and acquired a vast amount of land in the local area, including Llewesog and Llansannan Estate. Thomas William helped Hannah Maria buy the Llanrhaeadr Estate from her family which they transferred into a trust for their children. Their son, William, married Margaret Williams-Thomas and bought Llanrhaeadr Hall out of the family trust, along with surrounding land and outbuildings. In 1939 the property underwent a large scale renovation.
Following the construction of the A525, son Bill Williams sold the Hall in 1968 to the Winterbottoms, hoteliers at Bryn Morfydd. The hall later became a nursing home and remains so to this day. The outbuildings of the Hall were passed to Bill’s eldest son, Tom.
In January 2015, George Henry Barker purchased the Barn, Coach House and Dovecot for use as an exclusive wedding venue and fine dining restaurant, bringing to life the new ‘Llanrhaeadr Springs’.